Monday, September 10, 2007

My first Pentecostal handshake


When we were at Lancaster First on Wednesday I received my first Pentecostal handshake. It was an awkward moment for some reason. We had a great service with such a great group of people who were really receptive and inspired by what we shared. It was a great night. Following the service there were serveral people who talked to us and commited to pray for us and then it came. During this iteneration time I have been truly blessed by the generoucity of God's people. We want them to believe in us and the call God has placed on our heart. However my family history makes it so contrary to everything I have grown up with. Every time you give my parents something, or do something for them the say "you don't have to do that" or "you shouldn't have done that". They are doers and givers and not takers --- but the thing about that is it is a blessing to be the giver. So when everything in me wants to say to that sweet generous lady "no you don't need to give me that $50 bill we're fine" -- the reality is that - yes we are missionaries and need every penny and why take from someone the joy of giving. It's just like we never out grow fighting over things, whether it is a toy or the remote control, the biggest piece of pizza or the check after dinner. Perhaps it is just human nature.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, you never explained what a "Pentecostal Handshake" is. Do they go to shake your hand and you feel a lump of money in it? or what? :)

So, how long have you had a blog site? Cool!

jamiecbass said...

Sorry - a Pentecostal handshake is where they say something really encouraging, shake your hand, and give you money. Apparently it happens all the time - people blessing people in the name of the Lord. The name is kind of a joke but I didn't make it up.

Anonymous said...

I have Asperger Syndrome so I don't pay attention to how I dress and can come across as homeless, which I am not. When I was given pentacostal handshake, I assumed that was the reason, so I got insulted to the point of screaming and yelling. Now that was few months ago. But today I actually heard someone ELSE talking about THEM receiving such handshake AND using the term. You see I didn't know there was a term for it! But now that I know there is that term, then who knows maybe they didn't think I was homeless after all? But in any case, what I STILL want to know is WHOM do they tend to give pentacostal handshakes to? Are they giving them at random, or are they giving them to people they perceive as poor? If they give it at random, then I would be more than happy to take it next time. But if they give it to people they think is poor, then I am still insulted.

Sharp said...

Its whomever God lays on their heart