Tuesday, December 2, 2008

Culture Shock - The 7 things I hate about shopping



One of the toughest things about living here is grocery shopping. I go to this store that is close to my house and I am still learning how to buy things. The first thing that slightly annoys me is the carts. You have to put in a Euro (equivalent to $1.30) in order to disconnect them from the other carts. When you put your cart back it gives you your coin back. In a way this is genius because everyone takes their carts back but it has been a tough thing to get used to and I am always the idiot searching for a coin. Once I even asked a lady for her cart as she was returning it, she did not give me a very nice look. Secondly I walk up and down the isles trying to figure stuff out and it is very tough. Thirdly, if you want produce you have to get a produce person to weigh and tag it and if you don't do it before you get to the check out they treat you like a big idiot. Fourthly, by the time I get everything that I think I need I go to the check out and if anyone has less items then you they automatically go ahead of you which sometimes is perfectly alright but today 3 people went ahead of me and I really didn't have that much stuff. Fifth, the check out ladies are not nice or helpful - I have not meet one yet so after suffering through the store and all of this I have to deal with their bad attitudes. Sixth, you have to pay for your bags to carry your stuff home - learned that the hard way. Lastly, nobody helps you pack your stuff and there is inadequate space for stuff that has been scanned. Even with Tony and I both bagging we can't clear it away fast enough. The check out girls sit on a little stole and push all your stuff over into this little area and stare at you annoyed with your very existence. If there is someone behind you they just keep going pushing everyone's stuff together. If there isn't anyone behind you they still don't help you they just stare. All that to say I hate grocery shopping here -- but I will master it -- oh I will.

1 comment:

Kara said...

Thank you for all the great updates! The grocery story made me laugh, although I can't imagine how frustrating that would be! I'm sure that by the time any friends from the States come to visit you will be able to impress them with your Greek shopping skills!